Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sunday July 1, 2012 - Bear Mountain II

The Wheelmen did our second Bear Mountain ride this Sunday. Participating were Isaac, Jayne, CharlieG, JonD, Ori, and Susan (Jayne's friend). Mitchell and Barry were late scratches.
The total was 55miles with 4000 feet of climbing. I thank Charlie for his new Garmin.  The route went north on 9W to Bear Mountain and returned via a 5BBC route through Seven lakes Drive.  A very nice path through mostly parks highlighted the return.

I will post the emails that Jon sent us about his ride.  Jon had said that he knew that he would be dropped by us but still wanted to do the ride and Bear Mountain. Due to the temps close to 100F Jon had to cut his ride short and below is his story in two emails.

Email #1:


Jayne, Issac and Charlie

I wanted to thank you for having me on the ride. I really felt it was an accomplishment getting to and up Bear Mountain.  I found the hill before the entrance to the park the toughest of the day for some reason - maybe because it was unexpected (up that hill and then a a nice downhill into the park). Bear Mountain wasn't too bad it was just a long, long, long grind. And to do this on the first weekend of the tour - OMG. I felt good when I reached the top (and I could tell by the way I just let lose going down the mountain). Charlie then gave me money for water. Even coming up the hill , Charlie came up beside me - he had asked other riders if they had seen a rider with tattoos on his leg - guess they come in handy - at least for ID purposes. Charlie was a gem to ride with.   But I knew something was wrong when I reached the top - I didn't drink enough water - I even had a salty taste in my mouth. When we got to Seven Lakes Drive/Road, I had ridden that road before and knew it was up and down and pain in the neck grind out to 9W/S but it was doable. After I turned left on the traffic circle I hit a wall. I can honestly say in 32 years of riding this had never happened to me. Since high school, I have always liked riding in the heat (even football practice in August) - love the feeling of a sweaty work out. But this was different. It wasn't my legs didn't feel cramps or tightness. A bad headache and stomachnausea (tightness like I had to throw-up). Prior to the circle I tried to eat a bar but couldn't chew it - had to spit it out.  So after the circle, I started walking. I was in a park, to far to get picked up and in a dead cell phone area.  In what seemed like an hour but in reality was only a few minutes I started to try to wave down a car . Previously I saw some riders loading their bikes on a pick-up and entertained the thought of asking for a ride but I was determined to ride. At first I saw a taxi mini-van and waved him down but he couldn't take me as he was picking up a fare. Then I looked for vans or SUV's thinking that only those cars could fit my bike. I have to say not a lot of traffic. Then any car. An old Chevy cavalier passed me by and then did a u-turn. The couple said you don't look good. I asked for a lift out of the park but they said they were going to Nyack and would drive me. The man took off the wheels and my bike believe it r not fit into that damn little cars trunk. He turned on the a/c and kept telling to drink. When we got to Nyack he loaded my bike in my car and told me to sit and not drive.  I tried to give him some money to thank him but he refused. Folks, it was an act of kindness. I sat for a half hour under a tree,  I knew it was heat prostration given the headache and that I felt hot even after I got home and tool a cold shower - all night. I was quite taken by the kindness of the couple.All in all it was a great day.  I climbed the longest climb of my life with some nice riders. Thank you all. 

Please forward this to Charlie as I do not have his e-mail.

Thank you all for a great day - but I will do this ride again and complete it albeit . . . on a cooler day.

Jon

Email #2:

Hello al,

This is all in response to your supporative e-mails. But first would some one send me Charlie's e-mail address.

First - thank you all. I suppose this is one of the reasons that we ride together. Second - the ride for me was not a bust. I felt a great deal of satisfaction to be able to complete the ride up to and the climb up Bear Mtn. For Jeff, Ruperts  Mtn in Vermont is a cake walk compared although I believe Vt is a higher elevation - Bear mtn just goes up and up for 4.4 miles (least not forget the hill on 9N before the entrance - it was there that I realized I was way too low on water). But Once I recovered I felt good. Yes and thank you Isaac, I will complete the whole ride before the end of the season. In order to put the 55 mile ride in perspective - it is tougher than the MS Century.

But I look forward to seeing you all out on the road.

With love and graditude,
Jon


We will see you back on Bear Mountain Jon and on the North Shore.
Isaac

No comments: